Sunday, June 24, 2012

Finland is Crazy

Jeff and I traveled to Finland to teach and perform at the first ever Tampere Improv Festival.

We first stopped off in the capital city of Helsinki for 3 days and Jeff taught workshops.


This is a board of suggestions in Finnish. Their language looks like a toddler just made up words. But I do love that in the middle of all of these Finnish words someone yelled out "Zumba" great suggestion.




This theatre was called Dungeon Theatre because they do their shows in the basement.

As you can see the Finnish people all look like beautiful vampires. They are so Nordic looking.

The woman are beautiful.

In Tampere I made two good girl friends.




Marju above and Senja below.



It was so weird seeing such beautiful girls eat blood sausage for dinner.




Finland created a line of 99 calorie snacks.

I guess Americans like round numbers which is why we have 100 calorie snacks.



Senja and I went to a street fair and each bought a ring made from a spoon.

Mine is engraved with the name Maire and hers is engraved with the name Lempi.

Senja explained to me that in Finland it's a tradition to give a baby an engraved spoon with their name on it the day of their baptism.

So now in all our correspondence we call each other by our spoon name.




This chopped salami sandwich blew my mind.



The Tampere improv group who hosted the festival is called Jadajada.

They had a BBQ just for us and cooked up their famous Finnish sausage.

Finnish people live on sausage they love it so much.




But they don't eat it with a bun just in a napkin. So strange.



Senja introduced me to a Daim McFlurry.

Daim is a caramel chocolate bar in Finland.

It was so good.



Jeff buying mini donuts at the street fair.


The faux apple store is called Humac People.



My friend Ari who looks like a hired assassin. I said he should do an improv show were he plays an assassin who just happens to have a passion or the theatre.



The Finnish people love to sauna. They sauna 3-4 times a week.

So it was only natural that at the end of the festival they had a sauna party.





Here's Senja and I post sauna.

It was so refreshing and soothing.



Of course someone was cooking up sausages outside the sauna.


My friend Popcko from Israel.




Senja telling Daniel from Berlin about our spoon rings.


We told him he had the most amazing head of hair.




Spoon sisters!


I walked back to the hotel by myself around 4am when the party ended.

I can't think of another time in my life when I left a party so late.

Also since the sun only sets for 2 hours in the summer it was pretty light outside so I felt perfectly safe walking around alone.

During the walk I reflected on what a great time I had in the 10 days we spent in Finland. I love the people so much.

Finland is just so crazy.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad m

No comments: