Saturday, April 23, 2011

GQ- Dutch Baby's




I read all of Jeff's men magazines.

Men's Health, GQ you name it.

I read them cover to cover.

A few months ago I came across an interesting recipe for these huge, airy pancakes called Dutch Baby's.

The recipe looked super simple so I tore it out and vowed to make them for Jeff sometime during our break.

Well we were really busy our entire break and I still hadn't make Jeff the pancakes.

It was his birthday week so I went to the store and bought all the ingredients to make them but then we ended up going to two Cubs games, having rehearsals and late night meetings with friends and I still hadn't made the pancakes.

So the night before we left for Hawaii we decided to have a Battlestar Galactica game night.

If your lucky the game only lasts 5 hours and we hadn't even packed yet.

I was a little bit stressed and Jeff said "Hey are you going to make those pancakes?"

I was about to snap!

I was doing laundry and trying to get myself together before everyone started playing BSG.

I pulled out all the ingredients and hastily made 3 dutch baby's.

Literally I think I spent 5 min. making the batter and they each cooked for 18 min. or so.

They came out so wonderful and were absolutely delicious.

I'm really glad I made them even though I was at my breaking point!

I remember pulling them from the oven and Jeff saying "I think you need to put more powdered sugar on them." and I shot him the look of death and everyone started laughing.

Here's the recipe:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Melt 3 tbsp butter in a 9 or 10" pie plate or oven proof skillet...in the oven. Remove when melted.

Mix together 2 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, pinch of nutmeg (optional)

Whisk and pour into pie plate or hot skillet.

Return to oven and bake for 18-20 min. till puffy and evenly browned

Remove and sprinkle with lemon juice and powdered sugar.

1 comment:

Deanna Moffitt said...

Jeannie, thanks so much for including the recipe. I'm going to make one today! Hope you're having a great Easter.