Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cartoon Coin Booths

Whenever I try and explain Cartoon Coin Booths to people they never know what I am talking about.

Now I have photographic proof that they existed once upon a time.

When I was maybe 3 or 4 I remember my Mom going to shopping at a department store in California.

I don't remember the name of the store but I do remember that they had this tiny little movie theatre made just for kids my size.

My Mom would put a few coins in the slot and close the curtain and I would watch an episode of Woody Woodpecker or Mighty Mouse.

This memory is so vivid to me however anytime I asked friends of mine if they remember tiny kid size movie booths that played cartoons everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.

Well after much googling I finally found a group of people who remember them as vividly as I do.

If you remember them please post a comment and let me know what you remember watching.

I seriously have the fondest memories of this little contraption.

This is what the inside of the booth looked like.

10 comments:

Tabs said...

Jeannie! I remember these, I think they had one at a restaurant that my family would go to. My cousin and I would watch while the grown-ups talked. I had completely forgotten until you posted this!

improvhobby said...

(Better late then never.) But I love these machines. We just talked about them recently in a sad nostalgic way (maybe while you were in fact circling the islands). I was thoroughly disillusioned by a very cynical attitude of how they may be used if still around today though . . . I'll let your mind go where they did, or not, as it may be . . . .

John said...

I too remember seeing those. They were in Two Guys department stores, and Brent City. I sat in one once to see what it was like. I saw a Woody Woodpecker Cartoon, and the machine began to have problems and the machine turned off.

John said...

I too remember seeing those cartoon booths. They were at Two Guys department store against the wall with all the other arcade games and amusements. They also had one in Brent City department store. I went into one to see what it was like. I saw a Woody Woodpecker cartoon, but the machine had problems during playback and it shut itself off, and then resumed the cartoon toward the end.

John said...

I remember seeing those at Brent City and Two Guys.

Shannon said...

Yes! I have been trying to get people to remember them and so far maybe one other person remembers. We had a mall shut down and a group on FB that remembers other stuff at the mall. I think these came out after they were kids so only peeps about my age between 35-40 remember. I am glad I found this. Where are the group who remembers?

moogieqotl said...

Yes I not only remember them but as a kid wished I could own one! We had one at Shakey's Pizza and also at the video store my mom worked at. I remember watching mighty mouse. Sometimes the cartoon time would end and when you put in another quarter you would get a different cartoon. They seemed to just begin at random parts not at the beginning.

moogieqotl said...

Yes I not only remember them but as a kid wished I could own one! We had one at Shakey's Pizza and also at the video store my mom worked at. I remember watching mighty mouse. Sometimes the cartoon time would end and when you put in another quarter you would get a different cartoon. They seemed to just begin at random parts not at the beginning.

Timothy said...

I know this post is older but I remember watching woody wood pecker in the mall as a kid. My mom would give me some change and go in to stores and shop and I'd watch cartoons lol

Unknown said...

So glad to find your post. I used to watch Woody Woodpecker, Bugs Bunny, Mighty Mouse and Jeckly and Hyde