Monday, April 13, 2009

Fire Training and Bronchitis

Hello Loyal Readers,

Since I last blogged I have endured one of the toughest tasks of my life...obtaining my basic fire fighting license.

This apparently was a "must" when signing up to do this contract....even though I am an entertainer and not an oh I don't know: strong 6'2 man from NY who loves the show Rescue Me.

The process was grueling.

A weeks worth of 8 hour classes followed by numerous tests.

The whole thing ended in us actually going to a fire school, donning actual equipment including the scary breathing masks and putting out several large fires.

I mean....I DO NOT DO THINGS LIKE THIS.

I had to crawl on my hands and knees in all my equipment through what they call a zero visibility maze where its so dark you can't see your hand in front of you face.

Not only did I cry most of the night before fire school...I also cried 4 times while I was there.

All of the stress and the jumping in and out of a freezing pool for 3 hours....(oh I forgot to mention I had to do life boat training) left me with a 101 fever for 3 days and Bronchitis.

A small price to pay I suppose.....

I will note that we had to watch several boating gone wrong videos which showed actually cruise boats that hand sank or been badly damaged.

In 3 out of the 4 videos...the captain and crew fled the scene and the entertainers took charge and saved everyone!

I guess that's what we were doing there.

No comments: