Friday, August 22, 2008

“Prairie Movies”…..an ongoing Obsession



If I had to pick a favorite genre of movies it would be “Prairie Movies”.


What are Prairie Movies you might ask?


Prairie Movies are movies with girls in frocks and petticoats asking “When’s supper Momma?” Prairie Movies make you feel like putting the kettle on and making a cup of tea or pulling an old afghan around your shoulders and telling your hostess at Cracker Barrel that you don’t mind the long wait for a table, why it just gives you more time to browse the General Store, play giant checkers and rock in a rocking chair.


Most importantly a Prairie Movie should inspire you to light a Yankee Candle.

Now I don’t separate my Prairie Movies according to any sort of era.


As far as I’m concerned Little House on the Praire belongs in the same section with Sense and Sensibility.


I’m sure those books took place during different times but in my mind they are both Prairie Movies.


My ultimate Prairie Movie is Anne of Green Gables…..why I could have a whole blog dedicated to just that movie.



For my birthday Jeff bought me the Disney series Avonlea starring Sara Polley.



It is fantastic! I love to watch this show while I crotchet. It always makes me wish I had grown up in those times where the most important things were Sunday Socials, Sewing Circles, and gossiping about old spinsters.


Warning: If you are on an improv team with me I will initiate many a Prairie Scene. I have done improve scenes in general stores and have started others with phrases such as “Everyone I am now going to play the piano forte.” In the future I would love to do some improv scenes about land “Why did you hear Mr. McGilicutty is selling all of his land?”

No comments: